Translate

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Random Journal Entry #1

Name one thing that has always fascinated you.


   I can not think of something that has always fascinated me, but I can tell you that psychology is the subject I am most interested in, lately. I already have plans of going to college in Vienna, at the University of Vienna and studying psychology.
 
   Clinical Psychology, to be more precise. It deals with mental illnesses, and I suppose that you can already tell why I find it so fascinating. Eating Disorders, Borderline Personality Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Depression (self harm, suicide attempts) and all those amazing, abnormal stuff. How could one not like them? Okay, okay. My friends would totally NOT deal with such things.

   There is this friend of mine, a classmate, who wanted to be a psychologist. A counselor. Let me tell you, she is the most judgmental, gossiping, bitchy and I-am-so-stupid-but-think-I-am-smart person I have ever known. Of course, saying this will also make me look judgmental, but seriously, just having a diploma won't make you a good counselor. You need empathy, you have to learn to see things objectively, too.
"Seriously, you cut your veins and become emo if your parents divorce?" is not going to get you anywhere, regardless if you want to work in the psychology field or not. Just saying.

   I can tell you the diagnosis criteria for the most common eating disorders, I have almost learned that by heart. I can tell you that people with Borderline usually self-harm and those with Bipolar are not "moody". I always correct my friends when they are talking about mental illnesses. "She's so skinny, she's almost anorexic." Dude, thin does not mean anorexic. Thin is the opposite of fat, it is a physical trait. Anorexia is a mental illness, Anorexia Nervosa, and there are several criteria one must meet to be diagnosed as anorexic, not just "being thin."

   I do not know if my current state of mind will be helpful or not in my (hopefully) future psychology career, or if it will break everything because, in the end, who will want to hire a mentally ill psychologist? Anyways, I will try my best to be a good clinical psychologist. That is my passion. My fascination.

No comments:

Post a Comment